Wednesday 4 February 2009

Payday Weekend (The hardest part)

Payday weekend was always going to be the toughest weekend and it sure was. I knew as everyday got nearer the more a felt anxious and the more scared I felt as this was the time when I would always lose a small fortune. The other part was the excitement at moving into a new house with one of my best mates, each day was passing so fast I knew that there would be a possibility that I would gamble this weekend but I had things to focus on. I remember the counsellor saying to me, utilise the people who want to help you and if you think it’s getting to much then take a step back and think to yourself what you want to achieve, easier said then done.

It was now Thursday and I was scared, nervous and happy. All these thoughts and all I was thinking about was how I could make that big win that I have always wanted, at this point I was so scared about Friday coming. I did not know what to do with myself so that evening I decided on an early night. I woke up at 6.30am and was focused on getting stuff moved to the new house, leaving the gambling at the back of my mind, but I knew that it would weigh on me all day, the best thing was I had the whole day set out so I had no opportunities to gamble, before I could blink it was time to get ready to go out and have a few beers with friends, through the day I probable thought about going to the bookies a dozen times but I had succeeded . I had made it through the hardest day this truly was the 1st day of my rest of my life and getting back on the right tracks seemed that little bit easier.

Saturday came and I was left to go into town and get a few bits on my own at this point I was so scared just as I seen the bookies I pulled my phone out of my pocket and talked to Aaron knowing that he would talk for those few minutes. At 1st he was confused as I had only talked to him 30 minutes ago then it clicked and I got passed the bookies at this point really wanting to pop in and spend some money. The great thing was I got through town got what I needed and went home I felt that little bit better about me; I had given myself a great boost although there was a very long way to go….

Sunday was a very chilled out day I had to work unfortunately but I had something to focus on the only problem was I used to always pop out of work on my lunch on a Sunday to have a bet. So my plan for the day was to sit back and stay at work, out of the way of temptation and that is what I did. I had made it through the full weekend without gambling a single penny so by this point I had gone 4 weeks without gambling any money.

I was on the right tracks for the first time in years……….

1 comment:

  1. Hey Sam,

    Leaving gambling in the dust is tricky.

    Speaking from experience be sure that you understand the 21 Steps to Stop Gambling Methodology - doing so will get you pointed in the direction of Learning of to Enjoy Life without gambling + creating your own persoanl best.

    For example instead of saying "I have a gambling problem" essentially causing you to reinforce that belief within your self talk - try saying "I have a gambling problem and I am learning how to recover successfully"

    Shawn E Jordan
    www.shawnejordan.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete